Guidance notes for eligibility
Am I eligible to apply for Voluntary Right to Buy (VRtB)?
You could be eligible to apply for the VRtB scheme if:
- You are over the age of 18
- You have the Right to Reside in the UK
- You have been a public sector tenant for at least three years (tenants of a housing association or council)
- You have lived in the property that you would like to purchase for at least 12 months
- The property is your only home at the point of sale
- You do not have any current rent arrears
- You don't have any outstanding possession orders
- You do not have any pending bankruptcy proceedings
- You do not already have the Right to Buy or Preserved Right to Buy for your property (if your home was transferred over from another housing association or council with you as the tenant)
- Your home is not due to be demolished or disposed of by the association
- You are not subject to an anti-social behaviour order or notice of intent to seek possession for breach of tenancy conditions or any other legal proceedings registered against you
- You don't live in a property contained in a sheltered/supported housing scheme, or that is let under the following tenancies:
- Rent to Buy
- Mortgage Rescue
- Market Rent
- Intermediate Rent
- Starter tenancy/Fair tenancy
For full eligibility criteria please visit midlands.righttobuy.gov.uk
Is my home eligible for VRtB?
There are certain properties which are excluded from the pilot scheme. These include:
- Sheltered Housing and Supported Housing
- Alms Houses
- Adapted properties (where adaptations are no longer needed)
- Properties contained within a Rural Exclusion Area
- Homes with four or more bedrooms
- Properties built or acquired subject to planning restrictions (Section 106)
- Properties that would lead to a loss when sold
- Flats (including flats with shared, communal areas)
- Properties that have been identified in future disposal or demolition plans
Please note: this list is not exhaustive.
What if my home falls within one of the above categories?
If your property is not eligible to purchase under VRtB, but you meet the tenancy eligibility criteria, you may be able to 'port' your discount to another property owned by Longhurst Group or a neighbouring housing association. The Right to Buy sales Officer would be able to talk you through this process if applicable.
How do I complete an application form?
Only tenants who have been successful in obtaining a Unique Reference Number (URN) will be able to proceed to complete an Application Form after the ballot ends on the 16 September 2018. This will be an online-only application process. The Application Form and all further information you require will be available to complete on Longhurst Group's website after the 16 September. You will need your URN number to be able to access the online application form - find out more about applying for a URN and the ballot process here.